Science Fair Basics
Kindergarten – Grade 1
- Your project can be a display or demonstration of a science related topic or an actual experiment based on a question (like the other grades are required to do).
- In your display, you must explain or identify how your project is related to science.
- Use scientific terms to explain, identify, and describe the various parts of your project.
- Be sure to follow the specific requirements for your grade level as outlined under the sections “Judging Criteria” as well as “Rules and Safety Information”.
Grades 2 – 12
- Your project MUST ASK A QUESTION. Example: “What would happen if….?”, or “How would….affect….?” etc.
- You must clearly state the question of your project.
- You need to set up a test to answer the question.
- You should have a control sample and more than one test sample, where you can change its treatment or conditions to answer the question.
- You must record and display your results.
- After your testing, answer the question with which you started based on the results of your test.
- Be sure to review and follow the specific requirements for your grade level as outlined under the sections “Judging Criteria” and “Rules and Safety Information”.
- Please remember – displaying models of things such as volcanoes, the solar system, prehistoric animals, etc. will not meet the requirements of an experiment, since you cannot set up an acceptable test to answer a question.
Good luck and enjoy your scientific exploration!